:: Dryer Fire Dangers ::
Dryer Venting Dangers
Flexible white plastic vent hose is unsafe:
- Ribbed surface restricts air flow
- Lint builds up in the vent and then the dryer.
- Restricted air flow and lint buildup cause overheating and dryer fires.
- If a fire starts, plastic vent hose burns, spreading the fire.
Plugged plastic vents are inefficient:
- Clothes take longer to dry and you pay a higher energy bill.
- May case dryer parts to fail.
- May void the warranty on newer dryers.
To avoid dangers:
- Clean lint filter with every load.
- Replace white plastic vent house with metallic vent pipe.
- Have your dryer disassembled and cleaned once a year.
- Connect duct with solid metal elbows at the dryer and vent cap.
- If you already have a metal vent, clean it out at least once a year.
- Clean lint from vent where it exits the wall.
* Dryer vent fires are more common than chimney fires.
* Cleaning your dryer vent will improve drying times.
* Even a clean lint screen traps only 75% of the lint.
* Lint buildup around motor or burner assembly can cause a fire.
* Lint buildup causes stress on the motor and premature failure.
* In 1998, clothes dryers were associated with 15,600 fires, which
resulted in 20 deaths and 370 injuries.(CPSC, June 2003)
* You should have your dryer and dryer vent cleaned by a professional
every 6-12 months.
Stainless Icemaker Hose
Maytag Oven Igniter
Whirlpool Motor Coupling
Whirlpool Dryer Coil Kit
Frigidaire Dryer Maintenance Kit